BACKGROUND

My photo
I am a free-lance writer specializing in profiles of news-makers and Central New York business news and trends. I have taught newswriting and ethics courses at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. I earned a bachelor's degree in English literature from the State University College at Oswego (1977) and a master's degree in newspaper journalism from Newhouse (1999). I began teaching at Newhouse in 2000, and I continue to teach there. I took early retirement from The (Syracuse) Post-Standard in May 2007 after 27 years of working there as a reporter, copy editor, news designer, front-page editor, editorial writer, night city editor and bureau chief. I have written frequently for CNY Business Exchange, CNY The Good Life and several other regional magazines. I've also won awards for newspaper editing and design. Among the courses that I've taught at SU are: NEW205 (introduction to news writing), NEW305 (intermediate writing and reporting), NEW345 (critical perspectives on the news), NEW605 (Boot Camp for incoming grad students), NEW608 (Principles of journalism and ethics) and NEW617 (advanced reporting and writing grad course).

Thursday, June 5, 2014

IT'S HERE ----- OPEN THE EYES OF MY HEART

      The book offers stories of Upstate University Hospital patients and the spiritual care volunteers who serve them. The diversity that the spiritual caregivers bring to this ministry meshes perfectly with the diverse needs and faith traditions of our community and the workings of the Spirit in our lives.
      The book, by Walt Wasilewski with contributions from Imani Shabazz, is free to anyone who would like to know more about Upstate's deep commitment to spiritual care and the limitless possibilities that volunteers bring to the ministry. It was published through a generous grant by the Friend In Deed program of the Upstate University Foundation. The Spiritual Care Department is accepting donations ($5 per copy) to help pay for postage and additional press runs of the book in the future.
      If you are interested in receiving a copy, send your request to Walt Wasilewski at wdwasile@syr.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment

COVER STORIES I'VE WRITTEN

COVER STORIES I'VE WRITTEN